If you consider today’s advanced facelift techniques along with a skilled plastic surgeon who understands how to use them, a facelift does not have to involve unsightly scars or a longer recovery time, and a shortened facelift incision does not have to involve compromised results. A mini facelift performed by Dr. Benjamin Stong, an elite dual board certified facial plastic surgeon, offers distinct advantages to patients who want to turn back the hands of time using facelift surgery.
As part of our facial cosmetic surgery treatments, Dr. Stong proudly offers the mini facelift to patients who want a significant improvement in facial aging with shorter and more discreet incisions. For many patients, this results in less bruising and an overall easier recovery period. While other surgeons may only be able to offer limited results with a “less invasive” mini facelift, Dr. Stong carries the skill and knowledge needed to perform the most advanced deep plane facelift techniques while still using mini facelift incisions. Dr. Stong is among a very few top surgeons in the country who can perform this procedure.
The skin naturally loses elasticity as we grow older. Facial aging can begin as early as the late 20’s and 30’s. Factors such as sun exposure, smoking, heredity and other lifestyle habits can accelerate this aging process. A mini facelift is an ideal procedure to improve the inevitable signs of aging in the cheeks and neck in both younger and older patients, as well as those wanting multiple cosmetic procedures. Dr. Stong’s mini facelift can address sagging skin in the face, deep folds around the mouth (“Nasolabial Folds” and “marionette lines”), a drooping upper cheek, and jowling at the jawline. You can trust that Dr. Stong is exceptionally skilled and talented when it comes to facelift surgery. He understands the most advanced facelift procedures and the variety of surgical techniques that work to create the most natural, youthful appearance, including the most sophisticated face lifting methods through mini facelift incisions.
Contact Atlanta’s Leading Mini Facelift Surgeon
For more information about Dr. Stong’s distinguished mini facelift techniques, please contact Kalos Facial Plastic Surgery, LLC today to schedule a consultation. We always listen carefully to your unique concerns and ideal facelift goals before recommending a specific technique. You can trust that Dr. Stong carries unsurpassed skill in delivering natural, long-term results using a mini facelift procedure.
Mini Facelift FAQs
- What is a mini facelift?
- A mini facelift is commonly understood as a facelift procedure that requires less downtime and less dramatic results. However, for an elite surgeon, a mini facelift purely describes the incisions used. While it is true that the mini facelift can be performed under local anesthesia (“awake” facelift), lessening the resulting recovery, the mini facelift is primarily named for the short incisions that are discreetly placed around the ear. Dr. Stong is able to perform a wide variety of advance muscle lifting techniques (such as the deep plane facelift) through these mini incisions. In doing so, sagging cheeks, deep folds of the nose and mouth and jowls can all be addressed in a mini facelift by Dr. Stong.
- Where are incisions placed in a mini facelift?
- The mini facelift (also known as an S-lift, or short scar facelift) involves incisions that are well hidden in the natural curves around the ear. It is especially important to protect the hairline with incisions around the temporal hair tuft or sideburns to avoid un-natural or weird looking results that raises the hairline. This also makes the facelift scar undetectable to others. In fact, patients can still wear their hair up or very short without any concerns.
- What is an s-lift or mini facelift?
- An S-lift is the same as a mini facelift due to the smaller size and shape of the incision. It purely describes the skin incisions placed around the ear and has nothing to do with the muscle lifting technique that produces such excellent, long term results.
- Does a mini facelift produce long lasting results?
- Since Dr. Stong is able to perform the most effective and advanced muscle lifting and repositioning techniques during a mini facelift, the longevity of a mini facelift is not compromised. In other words, how long a patient’s mini facelift lasts is primarily dependent on the technique that is used and applied to the muscle layer of the face. It is widely understood that the deep plane facelift technique lasts much longer than plication and imbrication procedures while yielding better, more natural results.
- Am I a candidate for a mini facelift?
- All patients that are in overall good health and have realistic expectations with aging in the cheeks and neck are strong candidates for a mini facelift. Traditionally, the mini facelift was designed to address the signs of aging in the cheeks and neck in younger patients who had less severe drooping of the neck and jowls. With the advent of more advanced facelift techniques easily performed through these smaller incisions, we are now able to achieve the best results in both younger and older patients regardless of the degree of aging. Patients choose a mini facelift due to its favorable recovery period, as it is much shorter than traditional facelift techniques. As a plastic surgeon who is skilled in all types of face-lifting surgery, Dr. Stong can assure you that a mini facelift incision is best for you.
- What is the healing time frame for a mini facelift?
- In general, the downtime after a mini facelift is less than a traditional facelift. The incisions are abbreviated and will consequently heal faster. Your personal healing time frame can vary based on the specific facelift technique that was used as well as your age and overall health. Patients may also choose to undergo a mini facelift using local anesthesia and avoid the associated recovery from general anesthesia. The deep plane facelift also minimizes bruising. In conclusion, the mini deep plane facelift offers the smallest facelift incisions available combined with the least amount of healing, best outcome and longest lasting results.
- What is a plication mini facelift?
- Plication is defined as a process of folding, which is exactly what happens to the SMAS layer during a plication facelift. The SMAS is a relatively thin layer of strong facial supporting tissue that covers and surrounds the muscles of facial expression and platysma muscle of the face and neck. Plication suturing involves efforts to tighten the SMAS layer by folding it superiorly and attaching it to itself. Plication does not allow for the release of the underlying ligament attachments to the SMAS, which limits SMAS movement and can create less satisfying results. Compared to a deep plane facelift, that uses dissection beneath this SMAS layer and lifts the entire muscle layer, the results of a plication mini facelift are less superior and do not last as long.
- What is an imbrication mini facelift?
- An imbrication facelift, or SMASectomy, removes a strip of SMAS before sewing together the cut edges. Using this SMAS tightening technique, the muscular layer is not elevated and can therefore not be lifted as effectively as deep plane facelift methods. Ultimately the imbrication facelift technique has the same limitations as the plication technique of shorter longevity and less dramatic results.
- Why do most mini facelifts fail early?
- For a plastic surgeon who considers the mini facelift as a means to provide a more rapid patient recovery, he or she may carry limited training and choose to limit their dissection of the SMAS. Due to these restricted techniques, the results will often fail much sooner and can look un-natural. The SMAS layer of your face is the supporting framework for your skin. Over time this layer weakens and the skin loses elasticity failing to keep your skin tight and firm. Mini facelifts that do not address the deeper layers of the face will fail sooner. Without a deep plane facelift technique, where the entire SMAS layer is repositioned and the SMAS remains attached to the skin, a mini facelift that only pulls the skin can put too much tension on the shorter incisions, creating an “over-pulled” appearance with wide scars. Additionally, a mini facelift that does not use the deep plane facelift technique cannot effectively address lifting the upper cheek or midface area. Dr. Stong adheres to the most advanced muscle lifting techniques during a mini facelift for a longer lasting result.
- Can a deep plane facelift be performed through mini lift incisions?
- Absolutely! Dr. Stong offers the deep plane facelift through mini lift incisions at Kalos Plastic Surgery; however, it is rare to find a surgeon who offers this and performs it successfully. Dr. Stong is known for using his delicate precision and trained skill to give patients natural-looking and outstanding facelift results with the profound benefit of a shortened and well-hidden scar.
Essentially, this means the facial muscle is lifted and repositioned without tension and pulling on the skin itself. In contrast to traditional mini facelift procedures, this approach allows Dr. Stong to address the patient’s midface and cheeks in a way that creates natural-looking, durable and long-lasting results, with the additional benefit of less bruising and concealed, shortened scars around the ears.
- Why don’t most surgeons perform long lasting procedures like the deep plane facelift through mini incisions?
- It takes trained skill, deep knowledge of the facial anatomy and artistic talent to effectively lift and reposition the deeper SMAS layer of the face through only mini incisions around the ear. Dr. Stong is one of a few surgeons in the country and the first in Atlanta to perform this type of procedure.
- What is an extended mini deep plane facelift?
- Dr. Stong is highly regarded for his success using unique and unsurpassed facelift approaches. The extended mini deep plane facelift extends the dissection of the midface or upper cheek in traditional deep plane facelifts allowing for better repositioning of the upper cheek. It also uses a short incision while lifting the facial tissue and muscles simultaneously. Consequently, it achieves the superior results of a deep plane facelift with the minimal scarring of a mini facelift or S-Lift. Dr. Stong can perform this procedure under local anesthesia if the patient prefers, providing favorable benefits in recovery over general anesthesia. In general, the extended deep plane facelift is also known for faster healing and less bruising due to reduced skin dissection.