Cold weather is here to stay, and while many of us are familiar with dry skin that comes along with it, few take the needed steps to protect an often-neglected area of the face — our lips.
Our lips are one of the most vulnerable areas of our faces when it comes to the damaging effects of cooler temperatures. The biting air, chilly winds, and dry air causes cracking, peeling, cold sores, and blisters. The skin on our lips is also much thinner than the rest of the skin on our face, which means it dries out nearly 10 times faster.
This winter, take these few simple steps to keep your lips protected and looking their best:
- Don’t lick your lips. When our lips feel dry, our first instinct may be to wet them, but licking your lips actually dries them out more quickly.
- Don’t pick or peel cracked skin. Chewing or peeling cracked, dry lips can further dry them out, and also contribute to bleeding, sores, and in severe cases, infection.
- Be wary of lip balm ingredients. Some ingredients in lip balms actually irritate and dry the skin on our lips, rather than protect them. Steer clear of menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus, which contribute to drying. Vitamin E (aka tocopherol), castor oil (ricinoleic acid), and fragrances, colors, and dyes — all found in many lip balm brands — can irritate sensitive or damaged lips and contribute to further damage, cracking, flaking, and cold sores.
- Go for balms with hydrating ingredients. This means shea butter, almond, jojoba, and coconut oils and ointment-based products. Natural, organic products are usually better for your skin, but always check ingredient labels.
- Hydrate overnight. Replace lost moisture by using a humidifier at night, and applying a nourishing lip balm than can go to work while you sleep.
Did you know….?
Chronic dry skin also ages our lips, and the skin around them, contributing to fine lines and wrinkles. Kalos Facial Plastic Surgery offers both surgical and non-surgical treatment options, including bruise-free lip injections, lip lifts, lip grafting, and lip augmentation, to help keep your lips looking full and youthful.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation to learn more about how Kalos can keep you looking young all winter long.
Posted on behalf of
371 East Paces Ferry Rd, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30305
Phone: (404) 963-6665